Celebrate National Taco Day (October 4th) with Authentic Octopus Tacos From Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya, Mexico (September 19, 2016) – Celebrate National Taco Day this year (October 4) with a twist on traditional tacos from Chaka restaurant at the AAA Five Diamond Grand Velas Riviera Maya. Octopus tacos are served “Ajillo” style with nopales (cactus) and crispy potato on Guajillo-flavored tortillas at the Yucatecan restaurant, which serves a menu inspired by the region’s traditional cuisine. If you can’t make it to Riviera Maya to Mexico’s Foodie Resort for Taco Day, try the recipe below for an easier make at home version on traditional corn tortillas found at every grocery store.
- 1 lb Octopus*
- 1 C Carrots, chopped
- 1.5 C Onion, sliced
- 1 C Celery, chopped
- 4.5 T Garlic, chopped
- ½ C Leeks, chopped
- 1 C Butter
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1 C Guajillo Chilies, deseeded & sliced
- 1 C Lime Juice
- slack pepper
- Corn Tortillas
- Place octopus*, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, leeks, salt, and black pepper in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool, drain and cut in bite sized pieces.
- In a medium pan, sauté the remaining garlic, remaining onion and guajillo chili in the butter and vegetable oil until fragrant. Add the octopus, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Top tortilla with octopus mixture and Enjoy!
* Fresh octopus is preferred however canned octopus can be used if fresh is not available.