Grand Velas Riviera Maya resort is known for showcasing the country’s rich gastronomy and adding a touch of originality. Here, the resort chefs have shared two taco recipes with us to try at home.
- Corn tortillas
- 1 pound of octopus*
- 1 ½ cups chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 ½ tablespoons chopped garlic
- ½ cup chopped leeks
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup guajillo chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup lime juice
- Fill a large pot with water over medium high heat and add the octopus, carrots, half of the onion, celery, half of the garlic, leeks, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Drain and cut the octopus into pieces.
- In a large skillet, sauté the rest of the garlic and onion, the guajillo chile, vegetable oil and butter until well combined. Add the octopus, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the mixture in warm tortillas.
*Using fresh octopus is recommended. If you can’t find it fresh, you may use canned octopus.
Tacos de Tzic de Res
- Beef shoulder – 2 pounds
- Chicharron (pork rinds) – 2 oz.
- Chopped carrots – 2/3 c.
- Chopped celery – 2/3 c.
- Chopped onion – 2/3 c.
- Minced garlic – 4 cloves
- Chopped leeks – 1/3 c.
- Chopped pineapple – 2/3 c.
- Chopped cilantro – 1/3 c.
- Salt – 2 tsp.
- Pepper – 2 tsp.
- 10 red tortillas
- Guajillo chile dressing – 1/3 c.
- Cook the beef shoulder with the carrots, celery, onion, leeks, pineapple, salt and pepper over low heat for two hours.
- Remove the beef from the stock and shred. Sauté the shredded beef in oil, garlic, onion and cilantro.
- Serve in red tortillas topped with crumbled chicharron and guajillo chile salsa.
If you make either the octopus or beef tacos, please share a photo with us and let us know how they came out!